Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Join me in my pity party

Today's post was supposed to be a glorious rundown of my upcoming races, starting with a half in November, for which training started on Monday.  Except training didn't start for me.  At my chiro appointment last Thursday, Dr. Justin put me on complete rest for the entire Labor Day weekend.  I rolled.  I stretched.  I iced.  I wore compression socks.  And I watched Mark go out the door to run without me.

Things looked better yesterday, but I'm still not allowed to run, or even walk.  I can get on the elliptical, but I don't think I can very well train for a half entirely on an elliptical machine.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by this weekend I'll at least be allowed to walk, but even with that I'll be a couple of weeks behind.  Combine this with the fact I haven't run longer than 3.5 miles since last November and things don't look promising.  I'm also not entirely certain that the shin problems won't come back once I start running again.  Because it's tied to issues with my spinal fusion, I feel like this is going to be a never-ending injury cycle.

Fortunately the half I have chosen for November has a generous course time, so I could walk the entire 13.1 if necessary, but of course that's not what I want to do.  If things continue to heal at this rate, I anticipate another 2-3 weeks of no running, putting me with about 8-9 weeks to actually train. I'm pretty much at a loss as to how to proceed with a training plan from here.  Do any of you have any experience with a situation like this?  Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment