Monday, December 30, 2013

2013: My Year of Running #yearofrunning13



Time for the obligatory year in review post.  Ms. Zippy started #yearofrunning13 this year, so I thought I'd give it a go from my first real year of racing.
  • Best race experience? By far the Rock n'Roll NOLA half relay that I did with my sister.  It was my first race longer than a 5K, and I had no expectations for myself other than to finish.  It was a beautiful day and New Orleans really came out to support the race. 

  • Best run? The 12-mile training run for the Food and Wine half.  It was raining the entire time and I put in a pretty fast time.  I felt like a badass.

  • Best new piece of gear?  Since I haven't really gotten to use my Garmin 220 yet, I guess it doesn't count.  I'd have to say my Fuelbelt with number holder.  It's like my safety blanket and I can't run without it.

  • Best piece of running advice you received? "You got this."  From my sister before the half marathon.  I get terrible race anxiety no matter how prepared I am.  I even went so far as to write it on my arm as a reminder during the race.  And you know what?  I did.  Even with a broken foot.

  • Most inspirational runner? Actually, my husband.  He doesn't love the daily grind, but just keeps getting out there and getting it done, even without me there with him.

  • If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be?   Too much too soon.  I took on race distances that I wasn't ready to train for but I let myself get talked into.  Time to slow it down and get back to basics.
I hope y'all have a great New Year's!  See you in 2014: the Comeback Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment