Thursday, January 2, 2014

Taking on 2014

Although the arm cycle has been super-duper fun,  I'm itching to get my burn on.  But I know I have to take things slow.  Listen to my foot, like my doctor says (and now Mark says too.  Because that was his favorite thing Dr. Roca said at my appointment).  I've never really made fitness goals, other than the obvious "lose allofthe weight and be skinny by May" variety.  But having run my first distance races and being injured, I can see the value in thinking about and writing down what I want to accomplish in this new year.


  1. First and foremost: Heal and recover completely from my injury.  Every kind stranger I meet lately tells me a) they've been in a boot before and b) it took 10 months to recover/they broke the same bone again/they ended up having to have surgery.  While I appreciate that in some way they are trying to be sympathetic, I really don't need to hear the horror stories.  I fear having a constant recurrent injury or weakness, so I plan on taking it slow and doing everything the doctor and PT tell me.  Even if the pace drives me crazy.
  2. Concentrate on shorter distances, improving my time and strengthening my base.  Even before I broke my foot, I was planning on taking a step back on distance to concentrate on adding time to my run intervals.  Once I'm cleared to run, I'll be starting the Couch to 5K program over again, with a goal of being able to run a 5:1 ratio at some point.  Of course my immediate goal will just be to run.
  3. Get fast enough to feel comfortable stopping for 2 character pictures at the Tower of Terror 10 Miler.  See what I did there? Not a time goal, because Disney races are not for PRs, but a goal to get speedier while taking a breathe and enjoying the race.  I only got to stop for 1 character in 2013 and it was one of my bigger disappointments from that race.  TOT is the plan for my fall comeback race.  I'd love to think there will be a fall half marathon in the works, but the truth is I have to wait and see how recovery goes. But there is a big 2015 spring half planned...
  4. Find some kind of kickass cross training that I love: spin, TRX, swimming... Something. Over the last training cycle I cobbled together bits and pieces of XT on the days I was supposed to.  I'm not ready to give up Gentle Yoga, but I want to find something that I really enjoy doing that can complement running that doesn't consist of trying to mitigate boredom on a machine by watching TV.
  5. Weights 2 x/ week.  When I lift consistently, I can tell the difference in my running.  My knees hurt less.  My core is stronger.  Mark and I started New Rules of Lifting for Women last year, but quit when it started to interfere with training for the half.  I think the off season will be a good time to start back.  It should help re-balance the strength on both sides of my body, and help with...
  6. Drop 10-15 lbs/get hormonal issues under control.  And, of course, the weight.  I'll talk more about the weight/hormone problems at a later time, but suffice it to say I have a hard time losing weight.  I think I'm going to give #3121 a try, but I'm having a tough time finding 5 weeks that I can commit to right now without a major temptation like Jello shots.
So, in summary, I want get stronger, faster, and thinner, or basically become Kara Goucher. Sure, no problem, right?


Do you have goals for 2014?  Share them on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment