Monday, January 13, 2014

#3121: Dolvett is my co-pilot

I wish I could say I gained weight because I broke my foot, but I can't.  It's been going up steadily and quickly for about 18 months, and took a real spike starting last May.  I was training for longer races and I guess I fell into the fallacy that I could eat anything I wanted: I was training, right?  Gotta fuel!



Hormonal problems that I'll address in a later post make it easy for me to gain weight and difficult to take it off.  I know this, and know better about my eating and exercising, but it still sucks.  I visited a registered dietitian over the summer, and at least she helped me to stop the gain and plateau my weight.  She didn't do much else for me though.

Over the Christmas break I read The 3121 Diet by Dolvett Quince.  You know, the trainer from The Biggest Loser.  His plan of low carbs and clean eating while incorporating 2 "cheat" days a week made sense to me. I also like that it works on a 5 week cycle.  I can't really commit to a strict diet for months at a time, especially with Mardi Gras coming up, but I can find 5 weeks to follow the diet straight out, go into maintenance mode for a while, and pick it up again.   I lost 40+ pounds on Weight Watchers a few years ago, which was great, but I got burned out on  long term low low calorie eating.  And since I'm not able to do any serious cardio right now, I really need to concentrate on my calorie intake.

Today marks day 12 with my buddy Dolvett.  As of last Sunday I've lost 2.2 lbs.  It's so good to see the scale going in the right direction again!  I'm not going to lie: it was tough to get through the first few days, and I had a touch of the carb-flu in the beginning.  And I do miss my Diet Dr. Peppers! But with frequent higher calorie days and a sunset date for each cycle, it's easier to keep my eye on the prize.



And what's the prize?  I need to lose a little over 25 pounds, and this is the time to do it.  My biggest challenge will be to keep it off, but I am much happier and healthier when I am not overweight.  I have an entire wardrobe in the back of my closet that I am too big to wear.  Some things still have tags on them!  Now is the time to do this!  

No comments:

Post a Comment